DISCLOSURE

ANY DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS MESSAGE IS PROHIBITED WITHOUT THE WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE AUTHOR.

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Bond Vote for the Service Center and the painting of a "Combative"


It always begs to question why a newspaper would utilize adjectives, such as “combative”, when explaining a story, unless of course they want to generate discord in their viewing audience. It’s not like we haven’t seen the use of such tactics in the last 6 years of politics. For me, though, it represents my status as a Veteran.  As a Veteran I offered a good portion of my young life in the defense of the newspaper’s right to publish. To me “combative” was as an essential part of my early training in life. From what I can ascertain this newspaper doesn’t know the meaning of combative. Regardless, such newspapers are under attack by the social media anyway. This blog represents that social media impact and how it does more than just convey a message -- or a message that supports an agenda -- it conveys the true meaning of the writer’s intent and thus reveals more of who I really am (not someone else’s meaning of what I say). Never underestimate the intelligence of your audience is what I say.

There is something the community needs to know about the related accusations of ISD involvement, and the disclosure of information, which relates to my “NO” vote on the $27 Million portion of the bond package allocated for the Service Center. It doesn’t matter how the press wants to portray me as an individual, especially a newspaper that has been a supporter of the administration and the sole-source of the ISD’s press anyway. I understand the notion to “do whatever is necessary for your team to win” strategy. The fact is I have only spoken up on this matter due to this administrations actions being in direct conflict with the law – or as I interpret it. For someone to paint me as a “squeaky wheel” or “combative” only goes to support my notion that they exhibit a bias towards the way it used to be done. I put an emphasis on “the way it used to be done”.  Plus, it generates readers for my blog, so I’m good with it.

First, the community must understand that the Board of Trustees are grounded in the basis of state law and the policies set forth. Those laws and policies are found in the ISD Board Manual and are located on the Texas Association of School Boards website (http://pol.tasb.org/Home/Index/305). Every decision that we make as a board is based on the actual edict written within that Manual. It’s crucial that the Board adheres to, and scrutinizes, the manual for any and all decisions that we must consider when it pertains to the administration of the school district funding.  We are obligated to the community in doing so. The State dictates that we must conduct all votes in front of the community; the state mandates that it is the community that elects us to our position; it is the community that we must abide by. But there is one other item that is equally important…the access to information.

It is the law:

BBE (Legal)

An individual Board member has an inherent right of access to records maintained by the District when the Board member requests the records in his or her official capacity. Atty. Gen. Op. No. JM - 119 (1983)

When there are competing confidentiality or security concerns, it may be proper for the Board to establish reasonable procedures to preserve confidentiality, but the District may not absolutely prohibit an individual Board member from viewing records involving District business that are otherwise properly available to the Board as a governmental body. Atty. Gen. Op. No. GA-138 (2004)

It should be noted that on three separate occasions I specifically asked for any and all information related to the management of the bond package for the ISD. On two occasions I even went further by requesting information on the service center itself. On all occasions, accept for two, I was not provided the information I requested.  This material was to prepare me to cast a vote on the $27 Million expenditures. It was clearly stated to all the board members that I was not in receipt of any information regarding the bond, or the service center, until a few weeks before the board vote. But, the information provided to me was a deficient cost estimate for the service center – a cost estimate, I may add, that was only based on quantities and did not specify any great detail. The night of the board vote, I was presented, as was all the board members, detailed information of the service center and the application of the bond package to move the vote forward. It is this process, and the knowledge there of, that this administration, in my interpretation, was in violation of the law. I requested an investigation by legal council, but have not received anything as of today. I draw your attention to how the law is written:

BBE (Local)

Responsibility of Records

A person, including a Board member, commits a criminal offense if the person:
1.     Knowingly or intentionally destroys, conceals, removes, or otherwise impairs the verity, legibility, or availability of a District record in contravention of Local Government Code Chapter 202. Local Gov’t Code 202.008;Penal Code 37.10
2.     Willfully destroys, mutilates, alters, or removes public information without permission as provided by Government Code Chapter 552 (Public Information Act). Gov’t Code 552.351
3.     Distributes information considered confidential under the Public Information Act. Gov’t Code 552.352

You should note that this law, as written, does not state “misdemeanor” it clearly states “criminal offense”. Without the access to information not only detracts from my ability to perform my job, as was indicated, but it also directly detracts from the benefit of the community – no matter what side of the issue you stand on. The Board is not a newspaper that can decide to represent one point of view over another. We in fact are “supposed “ to be held to state laws no matter what.

What I’ve come to learn is that the entire process, and the relationship, between the board and the administration, was indeed very, very, flawed -- as was indicated by my fellow board members and the forced nature of this past vote -- not me. Being new to the Board I could not take a stand on the condition of the relationship between the ISD and the Board.  All I can stand on is what has transpired since joining the board and those actions directed specifically at me. Those actions are the reason I continue to bring the issues to light. I am just as much part of the problem if I don’t stand up and say something…. as are you.




Dr. Michael Myers





ANY DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS MESSAGE IS PROHIBITED WITHOUT THE WRITTEN CONSENT OF DR MYERS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments will be reviewed for derogatory or offensive language. Please considerate of others.

ANY DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF THIS MESSAGE IS PROHIBITED WITHOUT THE WRITTEN CONSENT OF DR MYERS.